RacingThePlanet Community Challenge
GIVING BACK: During these troubled times, each of the local communities where we host our races are facing challenging economic times. The majority of races have been postponed until 2021, the lack of tourism and additional income from RacingThePlanet and its racers has had an effect. As we reach each location, a donation will be made to a specific organization at the local level. If you would like to make a contribution, you may do so through this link. We will make the donation when we collectively reach each of the following locations:
- MONGOLIA - a trained Bankhar dog will be donated to a nomadic herding family.
- GEORGIA - a donation will be given to the local communities in Javakheti region of Georgia
- NAMIBIA - this donation will be split between two charities when we reach Swakopmund in Namibia.
- CHILE - The communities of San Pedro de Atacama Crossing depend almost entirely on tourism with a small amount of farming. Since March the town has been closed to try to protect the people from COVID-19 but this has also meant that there has been no tourism and therefore no income. We will be making a donation to the local communities.
- ANTARCTICA - A donation will be made to the Antarctic Heritage Trust to support the important conservation and heritage work in Port Lockroy, Antarctica.
- We welcome all ages and all individuals, no previous race experience required! Let us grow our community by inviting in all our friends and family.
- You may register as an individual or a team (no limit to the number of individuals in a team)
- The activities may be completed at any speed on your own 2 feet by running, walking, hiking, trekking ect
- One weekly submission of your distance and time must be submitted through your individual link which will be sent to you upon registration.
- Upload your total weekly distance and time by Sunday by 2200 your local time
- Results will be posted every Monday following the previous Sunday’s submission
- Teams are not required to run simultaneously, nor do they need to be located in the same country. You may form a virtual team across countries and oceans.
- You will be asked to submit some type of evidence of your weekly achievement (image of your watch which has logged the distance, a screen shot from whichever platform you use to track your distance, GPX track)
- Teams will be ranked seprately
WHEN: 30 October - 30 November 2020.
COST: FREE! The optional charitable donation is welcome. You can register and join at any time.
LOCATION: Wherever you are located, you can join us as we track our collective kilometers across the world.
VIRTUAL START: Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
DISTANCE: There is no mandatory distance to be run per week and you can start and finish at anytime that works for you, morning, noon or night. You can cover as much or as little as you like. Let's see how close we get to Antactica in 1 month.
PRIZES: We will be awarding a variety of prizes to keep the motivation going including:
- Weekly prize for the best photo submitted to us – get creative and show us your big smiles for miles (small or big)!
- Weekly prizes to the individual who logs the MOST distance in the week
- Overall winner will be the person who contributed the most miles in the least amount of time to reach our collective community goal!
FOLLOW THE COMMUNITY PROGRESS: