Namib Race Blogs 2021
View All Posts 2021 From : Jack Fierstadt
26 October 2021 10:15 pm (GMT+01:00) West Central Africa
Dear Family & Friends: Today I headed out of Camp 3 with some trepidation after my issues yesterday. I struggled to CP1 and on the way there I made the decision to call it. In years past, I have always been good about regulating my heart rate and core temperature whatever the conditions. I tried several things and nothing seemed to work. I am not really disappointed (well maybe a little) because I know I made the right decision for my family and i. I will fill in blanks when not on a public forum but needless to say it was a safety decision. All the RTP staff were and are wonderful to me and were on the watch after yesterday. At the moment I have been off course for a few hours and my recovery is coming along. (Cathy) I will try and call you when a signal is available but that may not be for a few days.
(Joking here) After I called it a race, and while still delirious, Ritta asked if I would volunteer for the remainder of the race. Of course, while hallucinating, I agreed, At this point, I cannot rearrange non-refundable flights, hotel and scramble for two more Covid tests to get home. I miss everyone and I am truly sorry for any disappointment that may be out there. thank you for all your love and support. Jack.