ITINERARY FOR RACINGTHEPLANET: LAPLAND 2022
Arrival town: Rovaniemi is the gateway to Lapland! It is a modern city known for being the "official" home town of Santa Claus and for viewing the Northern Lights. Rovaniemi Airport is about 10km (6 miles) from the city centre and the Arctic Circle crosses the runway closer to its northern end. The course is a few hundred kilometers north from here.
Hotel: Scandic Pohjanhovi
Finish town: Levi, a resort town in Western Lapland, is where the final celebrations take place and the event concludes. Levi is located 16km (10 miles) from Kittilä airport that has a daily flight to/from Helsinki. A shuttle bus service from Levi to Rovaniemi is also available for those traveling on from Rovaniemi.
Hotel: Break Sokos Hotel
Flights: You can choose to book a return flight from Helsinki (HEL) to Rovaniemi (RVN). A 2.5 hour shuttle bus from Levi to Rovaniemi is available on Sunday morning on 21 August after the race and there are local transport options for those who plan to stay in Lapland for longer.
Alternatively, you can book a one way flight from Helsinki (HEL) to Rovaniemi (RVN) and to return, fly from Kittilä (KTT) to Helsinki.
For flight bookings, go to: www.finnair.com
Train & bus: Rovaniemi is also connected by an approximately 8-hour train journey from Helsinki. Tickets are available at www.vr.fi/en.
Public buses operate around country and they can be booked at www.matkahuolto.fi/en.
Renting a car: If you wish to continue exploring Finland after the race, you can also rent a car from Kittilä or Rovaniemi. Options include Europcar, Hertz or Avis.
Note that a drop off at another location is generally available for an extra fee.
- Volunteers arrive (anytime).
- Competitors arrive to the host town.
- Volunteer training (all day).
- Priority Check-In for the 4 Deserts Club members (TBC)
- Competitor Briefing (compulsory for ALL competitors)
- Competitor Check-In, including administrative, medical and equipment review
- Start / Stage 1 - Over the Great Pallas
- Stage 2 - The Three Lakes
- Stage 3 - The Old Postal Road
- Stage 4 - Between the Great Fells
- Stage 5 - The Long March: Through the Lands of Reindeer
- Stage 5 - The Long March: Through the Lands of Reindeer - Continued
- Stage 6 - The Final Footsteps to Ylläs
- Conclusion of the race
- Bus transfer to the host town
- Awards Banquet
- Competitors and volunteers stay overnight in the host town - hotel provided
- Race activities have concluded and you are ready to depart or continue your travels in Finland